Motor Neurone Disease (MND) is a life changing illness. At North Haven we understand the emotional and practical challenges of living with MND. We are here to provide you and your family with individually tailored care and support to help you manage these changes well, without needing to move to a care home.
Together we create a personalised care and support plan to help you achieve your specific goals. We talk to you about what is important in your life and your personal needs and preferences Our dedicated staff team are fully trained to provide a wide range of care and support including:
- A good morning start to your day, with help to wash, dress and eat breakfast
- Support to be involved in activities that are important to you, seeing friends and family, or going for a walk
- Help with practical tasks such as housework, shopping and laundry
- Assistance with taking your medicines and/or ensuring you have a readily available supply
- Preparing nutritious meals and providing the support you need to eat and drink well
- A night time call to get you ready for bed
- The option of a 24-hour care service to give carers a short term break or live-in care on a longer term basis so that you don’t need to move to a care home.
Common symptoms of MND
MND is a progressive life threatening illness. Diagnosis can raise concerns about whether living in a care home is inevitable. Everyday activities will become increasingly difficult. For example:
- Gripping objects, picking them up or lifting them
- Foot drop, due to weak ankles
- Walking, sometimes one leg will drag
- Speech may become slurred
- Swallowing so that tube feeding becomes necessary
There is no known cure for MND, however, treatment and support can alleviate the symptoms and keep you comfortable. Our dedicated home carer assistants aim to provide you with the best care and support so that you can enjoy your life as much as possible without the added stress and expense of moving into a care home.